What does the role involve?
This role is a critical component of our engineering capabilities to build, optimise and manage products that extract value from client data-sets to underpin ML models as well as build new revenue streams from data as a tangible product beyond consulting. You will be working very closely with the data science, insight, media, client services, IT and strategy teams to ensure productisation to deliver these stakeholders goals. They will be passionate about working with big data sets and have the expertise to transform data into action through product development. In addition to this, you will be building data-driven interaction products requiring software/code development – an example of this is an experimental social game to collect rich 1st party behavioural and PII data as part of supporting comms plans.
Put simply, you’ll share our passion and skill for helping everyone understand the power of data for good.
Broadly, the role incorporates four main areas:
- Bring combo of passion and proven capability
You’ll be an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys building data products from scratch. It’s critical that you’re comfortable supporting Business Analysts and Data Architects with discovery and best practices. You must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data engineering needs of multiple teams, systems and products.
- Hands-on implementation and delivery
This is a senior role within the Engineering team, with a clear expectation of significant strategic data engineering capability. However, we need a ‘doer’ as well as a ‘planner’. Our size, culture and growth potential necessitate a hands-on approach from all. Consequently, this role suits a tenacious engineer with the seniority to lead and help grow the team, along with a desire and ability to get stuck in.
- Engineering to fuel data-driven products
- Design, develop and maintain scalable, automated, insightful data-marts and tables which will be used as inputs for models, reports and dashboards
- Design and code development of new revenue-generating data products
- Maintenance of existing data products to ensure that they evolve with the online landscape
- Working with both internal and external stakeholders to understand requirements
- Delivery of high-quality code with appropriate unit and integration tests
- Write high integrity code to retrieve and analyse data from database tables
- Build product UIs to outputs to make data actionable
- Explore new datasets, onboard them into our data cluster and scale with use cases
- Set up ingest, analyse, output processing workflows
- Set up mechanisms to proactively measure quality of outputs in addition to failure detection
- Developing our points of difference
As well as winning, planning and delivering data projects, we need you to help us retain and evolve our distinctiveness in the marketplace. In practice, this means helping determine the type of data projects we pitch for, as well as how we deliver these projects.
Part of our distinctive approach is how we root our strategies in end-to-end customer understanding. This ‘full experience’ attitude is mirrored in our team’s knowledge across all digital marketing disciplines. We speak content, creative, performance marketing, engineering, data-science, CX, CRM, Klingon (well, soon). It enables us to deliver client change wherever in their marketing mix it is most needed.
With this in mind, the Senior Data Engineer needs to help us deliver results that address real human needs:
- Be a true customer advocate by researching and mapping data needs and use cases throughout a complex ecosystems
- Translate customer needs into business requirements
- Understand and interpret customer experience measurements into engineering tasks
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics or related field.
- 3+ years programming experience in data processing and manipulation with at least two of the following – Scala / Spark and/or R / Python/ PySpark development experience.
- Background in supporting data scientists in conducting large scale data analysis / modelling to support business decision making.
- Significant demonstrable experience of complex ETL cycles
- Understanding of data types/ handling of different data models.
- Desirable to have experience with Spark, Flink, Kafka, Flask
- Experience with the Microsoft Azure, GCP, or AWS data management tools such as Azure Datafactory, Datalake and Databricks or GCP is a plus
- Experience with data visualisation tools and libraries is a plus (PowerBI, Tableau, D3.js)
- Understanding of descriptive and exploratory statistics, predictive modelling, evaluation metrics, decision trees, machine learning algorithms is a plus
- Good scripting and programming skills.
What would also be beneficial
- IT infrastructure and cloud development experience
- Engineering and software architecture design
- Developer certification(s) in a related technology or discipline that demonstrates capability as well as a strong understanding across the enterprise experience ecosystem. These might include:
- Google cloud architect certification
- Adobe Experience Cloud architect certifications (AEM, AAM, AA, Experience Cloud Services)
- Azure solution architect certification
- AWS Solution architect certification
- DMP/CDP implementation certifications
- CRM implementation certifications
- Designed data-driven creative experiences in close-collaboration with designers, marketeers, and comms planners
- Fluent in working within a Design Thinking and Agile environment
- Extensive practical data architecture experience (including Big Data), with experience in analytics, data protection legislation and data monetisation
Equal Opportunity Statement
SYZYGY is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees, and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond. Please let us know if you may need any additional support when applying for the role or if you are invited for an interview.
Excited about this role?
The benefits of working at SYZYGY