Hello and thank you for your interest in SYZYGY*
We are a digital experience agency that transforms brands through the intelligent use of data.
We are 50% owned by WPP, which enables us to enjoy the benefits of being part of a large network; whilst retaining our independent pioneering spirit, which is as strong today as it was in 1995 when the agency was formed.
We have eight offices across Europe and North America and a team of 600 digital specialists; there are about 60 of us in the London office. Working at SYZYGY means the opportunity for professional growth and fulfilment, in a supportive, fun and friendly environment, that offers freedom and flexibility.
Anyone interested in joining SYZYGY should have an entrepreneurial mindset and happily adhere to our agency values:
Brave: you are not afraid to give your honest opinion, you love making a difference.
Collaborative: we work as a team, believing we are all stronger together.
Curious: you don’t settle for what you already know, you bring a fresh perspective to everything.
Integrity: you always do the right thing, for our clients and the agency; which is why people love working with and for SYZYGY!
*Our name? Pronounced siz-a-jee, it’s an astronomical term, referencing the sun, moon and earth being in perfect alignment. We like alignment.
JOB TITLE: Head of Data Solutions
REPORTING TO: Director of Data and Experience Technology
LOCATION: Central London (Holborn)/remote/hybrid
What does the role involve?
Data is at the heart of everything we do for our clients. We believe that the brands who act fastest and are more adept at turning this data into commercial opportunities, are the ones that will grow fasted and most sustainably.
The Head of Data Solutions position is a critical role in how we deliver to this proposition. As part of our expanding data and technology function, you will help us: deliver holistic, end-to-end, data-driven strategies for our clients; expand our revenue streams in our media accounts; and integrate with specialist practitioners to develop agency products and IP.
Your experience with technologies than span the full enterprise marketing architecture will enable you to design and implement omni-channel data solutions that address varying client objectives for a diverse set of stakeholders.
You’ll be a true customer experience champion, motivated not just by the lure of technical possibilities but by the opportunity to create experiences for customers that drive growth and value, and move beyond tech for tech’s sake. After all, we root everything we do in insight and actions that make a quantifiable difference: strategies with no substance are not in our nature.
Put simply, you’ll share our passion and skill for helping everyone understand the power of data for good.
Broadly, the role incorporates four main areas:
- Developing appropriate data strategies for our clients
You lead in developing and implementing data strategies for our clients. This means combining your solution architecture skills with contextualised use cases to deliver measurable results. You communicate the vision and solution to non-technical audiences as well as creating technical blueprints for our technology teams (or client-side engineering teams) to build.
These data strategies can span design and development across: Systems of Experience/Activation; Systems of Decision; Systems of Context; and Systems of Storage. You’ll also be expected to incorporate project considerations into your recommendations, accounting for: technology, risks, scope, cost, quality, time and resources.
- Hands-on implementation and delivery
This is a senior role within the agency, with a clear expectation of strategic capability. However, we need a ‘doer’ as well as a ‘planner’. Our size, culture and growth potential necessitate a hands-on approach from all. Consequently, this role suits a tenacious solutions architect with the seniority to lead and help grow the team, along with a desire and ability to get stuck in. It’s this hands-on approach that will help ensure we never deliver an unsubstantiated, unactionable or unimpactful solution to a client’s business problem.
This will involve, but is not limited to:
- Finding the best tech solution among all possible to solve existing business problems
- Describing the structure, characteristics, behaviour, and other aspects of software to project stakeholders
- Defining features, phases, and solution requirements
- Providing specifications to which the solution is defined, managed, and delivered
- Winning new business
You don’t just help us retain and grow existing accounts; you also help us win new ones. We see this role as providing credibility in pitches and proposals, in how we design, describe and engineer solutions that achieve real business outcomes.
You’ll have the ability to understand, interpret and stimulate ideas, and lead the charge in producing the technical vision and definition of solutions.
You positively challenge decisions and define best practice, with proof garnered from real world examples. You recommend bold roadmaps tied to a client’s ideal future, while providing a distinctive point-of-view.
Our new business success also relies on the development of IP: digital and data products that enable our clients (and teams) to achieve more, faster and better. The Head of Data Solutions is critical to this, helping us identify client opportunities to build products around.
And by doing all of this, you will be critical in us securing new clients.
- Developing our points of difference
As well as winning, planning and delivering data projects, we need you to help us retain and evolve our distinctiveness in the marketplace. In practice, this means helping determine the type of data projects we pitch for, as well as how we deliver these projects.
Part of our distinctive approach is how we root our strategies in end-to-end customer understanding. This ‘full experience’ attitude is mirrored in our team’s knowledge across all digital marketing disciplines. We speak content, creative, performance marketing, engineering, data-science, CX, CRM, Klingon (well, soon). It enables us to deliver client change wherever in their marketing mix it is most needed.
With this in mind, the Head of Data Solutions needs to help us deliver results that address real human needs:
- Be a true customer advocate by researching and mapping customer needs and use cases throughout a customer journey
- Translate customer needs into business requirements
- Understand and interpret customer experience measurements
- Develop roadmaps to deliver great customer experiences
What are we looking for?
- 4-5-years as a Senior Solutions Architect across the marketing ecosystem, which might typically include: Snowflake, Azure, Adobe Experience Manager, Google Analytics 360, Salesforce Marketing Cloud, Braze, MuleSoft, DV360… well, the list continues so hence the importance of…
- The ability to help clients understand and focus; looking beyond technologies in pursuit of orchestrated use cases and extracting value from their investments
- Demonstrable experience designing and implementing enterprise data strategies as well as delivering use cases that have delivered significant value across commercial, marketing, media and other teams
- Professional experience writing web-based applications in any language, and a willingness to quickly get up to speed on our stack (Ruby/Rails, Go, Python, Scala, or Rust)
- Experience with TDD environments (RSpec, Minitest, Capybara, Selenium)
- Experience with relational databases (PostGreSQL, MySQL) and key-value stores (Memcache, Redis)
- Experience with front-end web technology, big advantage for React
- Experience with web architecture at scale (20krpm and above)
- Experience with PostGIS, or any geography-heavy applications
- Experience with “NoSQL” data backends (Redis, MongoDB, ElasticSearch)
- Experience of developing and leveraging Architecture Principles
- Experience of strategic planning, portfolio management and developing business roadmaps
- Experience architecting, managing and documenting large scale cross-functional data-centric programmes including identity resolutions, unified customer view, dynamic content production, recommendation/ decisioning engines, multi-channel/algorithmic attribution, cross-channel journey orchestration
- Strong cross-functional understanding of channels and platforms
- Excellent influencing, persuasion and pitching skills to senior/ C-suite stakeholders
What would also be beneficial
- Experience working closely with UX and strategy teams to create end-to-end experience strategies, fuelled by tech and data but creatively executed
- IT infrastructure and cloud development experience
- Engineering and software architecture design
- Developer certification(s) in a related technology or discipline that demonstrates capability as well as a strong understanding across the enterprise experience ecosystem. These might include:
- Google cloud architect certification
- Adobe Experience Cloud architect certifications (AEM, AAM, AA, Experience Cloud Services)
- Azure solution architect certification
- AWS Solution architect certification
- DMP/CDP implementation certifications
- CRM implementation certifications
- Designed data-driven creative experiences in close-collaboration with designers, marketeers, and comms planners
- Fluent with Design Thinking and Agile methodology
- Extensive practical data architecture experience (including Big Data), with experience in analytics, data protection legislation and data monetisation
- 25 days holiday a year, plus Public and Bank Holidays and 1.5 days at Christmas.
- Summer Fridays: the last Friday of June, July and August are half days for everyone (on us!), no need to book it off
- Day off for birthday
- Fun, exciting company events (Paris for Christmas party, 2019)
- Free breakfast and fruit
- Health cover
- Enhanced pension
- Discounted gym membership
- We also provide discounts on top brands, travel loans and much more