Cuddles or Funnels; Social Engagement VS Social Commerce
'Show me the money!'
'Fire anyone who uses the word engagement'
Just two of the more bullish comments from our heated debate on the undeniably difficult romance of social media and online commerce (or water cooler conversations and cash registers, as one of the panel put forward).
The panel, made up of a social psychologist, technology entrepreneur, social analytics expert and the CEO of a social media start-up, all brought different angles to the thorny question of how best to make money out of social media. (As it happens, our view is that success can come from focusing on social utility.)
- Nick Johnson, Founder, Useful Social Media
- Dr Paul Marsden - Digital and Innovation, SYZYGY Group
- Nathalie Gaveau - Founder, Shopcade
- Luca Binini - MD, Europe, Buddy Media
- Mark Rogers - CEO, Sentinel Projects
Watch the debate from Facebook's London HQ here. It lasts for about an hour.
And if you would like help with your social media strategy then please get in touch.
- By Anna Mackay